Sunday, March 25, 2007

 

Moderately Priced Traif Bordeaux Wines?

I'm not such a fancy-pants'd wine connoiseur that I'd even appreciate a big, fancy Bordeaux, even if I could afford it. OTOH, many inexpensive Bordeaux available in this country, seem to be made for people intolerant of any sugar in their wines, but just don't have the depth to work as completely dry wines. And they try so hard, that when they miss the mark, it's a tragedy of classical Greek proportions.

I've had Dourthe and rather like it -- it's just right as a table wine, but I've never been able to find it in the U.S.A.

Now there are many nice, inexpensive Kosher wines which capture what I imagine to be the essence of a reasonably priced, wonderful Bordeaux table wine or Vin de Pays (and are marketed as such). But in areas where there aren't too many of us Jews, it's hard to find such wines.

Fortunately, I've just discovered Barons Rothschild (Lafite) Reserve Special. I've had their white wine, and while the flavors don't quite blend perfectly, they certainly are wonderful: floral, grassy, and everything a white Bordeaux wine should be. And it's just perfectly off-dry: sweet enough to piss off those who insist on their wine being dry and dry enough to be too dry for those who like their wine sweet, so it pleases the contrarian in me ;).

I should sometime try their red wine to see if it's at the same level of being something that is good, but doesn't try too hard to be great and thus misses the mark by being not good at all. Anybody have any experience with the Barons Rothschild (Lafite) Reserve Special line who might have something to add?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?