Tuesday, March 06, 2007

 

Another Lesson Learned the Hard Way

Did you know that combining soap and shampoo leads to the creation of ammonia? I didn't. When I was bathing last, I had some shampoo lather left on my hands after washing my hair, and decided not to rinse it off but to supplement it with soap lather and continue washing -- and whew ... did I smell ammonia!

From googling about when I should be working (one can only spend so much time peak picking spectra!), I found out the reason why they add citric acid to shampoo is to keep the pH low enough the ammonium laural sulfate, etc., doesn't decompose. I guess I just raised the pH too high ...

The things "they" don't tell you; the things ya learn ...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?